NYPD sex crime detectives once hid a woman who accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault, according to a New York Magazine report.
Police allegedly stashed her in attempt to protect her from the disgraced movie mogul’s lawyers and his pals, some of whom were associated with the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.
- Police sources told New York that they were ready to charge Weinstein after he allegedly groped Italian model Ambra Battilana, but that Manhattan D.A. Cy Vance Jr., who reportedly has close ties with Weinstein’s legal team, pulled the plug on the prosecution
- Battilana was checked into hotels under assumed names as police sought prosecution, according to New York.
- "They prosecute people for misdemeanors with far less probable cause than this. We gave them beyond reasonable doubt," said retired Sgt. Michael Bock of NYPD’s Special Victims Division. "We obviously know who this man is. We obviously know we have a different burden of proof. So to go above and beyond as we did, he should have been arrested. He should’ve been arrested."
- Last week, Vance said they are still investigating Weinstein.
ROSE MCGOWAN SAYS WEINSTEIN WANTS HER DEAD
- Rose McGowan, 44, meanwhile, one of Weinstein’s most vocal accusers, claimed in a new interview that she thinks he wants her dead.
- "I’m sure he would prefer it if I were dead," she told Britain’s Sunday People. "He’s a sociopath. I am not afraid — but I should be. The people I find worse than him are his lawyers. The way they are acting has been disgusting.
- "The people around him, that have supported him in his attempt to dominate and abuse women, are monsters, just as much as he is," she continued. "There is no rehabilitation for that type of soul. They just need to fall off the planet. He doesn’t believe he has done anything wrong."
- McGowan is one of several dozen women who claim Weinstein sexually assaulted her. She has said that the 65-year-old raped in her in his hotel room in Park City, Utah, in 1997.
- Weinstein has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex.
Film director and Monty Python member Terry Gilliam is getting blasted for remarks he made about #MeToo.
He spoke out on Friday to AFP: "It’s like when mob rule takes over, the mob is out there they are carrying their torches and they are going to burn down Frankenstein’s castle."
- Gilliam added that he thinks accused rapist Harvey Weinstein "is a monster," but that "a night with Harvey" is the "price you pay" for getting ahead in Hollywood.
- "I think some people did very well out of meeting with Harvey and others didn’t," said the director. "The ones who did knew what they were doing. These are adults, we are talking about adults with a lot of ambition."
- He added that Matt Damon, who was criticized for his response to #MeToo, has been unfairly lambasted. "I feel sorry for someone like Matt Damon, who is a decent human being He came out and said all men are not rapists, and he got beaten to death.
- On social media, the reception was brutal. Hollywood heavyweights weighed in. At first, Ellen Barkin kept it simple, writing, "Terry Gilliam, you talk too much," while Sarah Silverman opined, "Terry Gilliam may wanna turn those feelings of fear & uncertainty he’s getting from #metoo/#timesup and realize ‘Ohh this is how life has been for THEM til now... huh. Wow. Damn.’ See? Now it’s empathy."
- Judd Apatow lashed out too, writing: "I read it. Terry Gilliam’s comments about Harvey Weinstein are idiotic and dangerous. He wasn’t in those rooms. He doesn’t know how aggressive and violent and terrifying he was. Who is he to say it was some sort of offered deal? He should be ashamed of himself."
- Barkin took it even further, posting a cryptic warning to followers on Twitter: "My hard won advice: never get into an elevator alone with terry gilliam."
MIKE MACDONALD DIES AT 63: Veteran Canadian stand-up comedian Mike MacDonald has died at age 63 due to heart complications, his brother John Paul told CTV News. "Saddened to hear of the passing of our dear friend and Canadian comedy legend Mike MacDonald. Over the years he has graced our stages more than any other comic and will be greatly missed. #RIPMike," the Just For Laughs comedy festival in Montreal, where MacDonald was a regular performer, said on Twitter. Jim Gaffigan tweeted: "So sad to hear about Mike MacDonald. I had the pleasure of performing with (the) Canadian comedy legend a couple times. Once at a @justforalaughs gala and recently when I performed in Ottawa (his hometown). On both occasions he was pure class and funny as hell. RIP." MacDonald appeared on Late Night with David Letterman, The Arsenio Hall Show and at the Just For Laughs comedy festival.
NICO TORTORELLA MARRIES BETHANY C. MEYERS IN GENDER-BENDING CEREMONY: Younger star Nico Tortorella married his on/off polyamorous partner Bethany C. Meyers in New York City on March 9th. The 28-year-old actor and 31-year-old fitness entrepreneur wore neo-Grecian dresses over tuxedo trousers. The pair were engaged for three months. They both also wore crowns. Tortorella shared the news this past Saturday, revealing that family and friends were not present and that they did not exchange rings.
JIM CARREY UNVEILS PORTRAIT OF SARAH SANDERS: Spoiler: it’s not flattering. Jim Carrey got blowback on social media after unveiling an unflattering portrait of White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders. "This is the portrait of a so-called Christian whose only purpose in life is to lie for the wicked. Monstrous!" Carrey wrote in his tweet accompanying the portrait Saturday. While some users loved it, many found it offensive. One user wrote: "What a disgraceful thing to do. Jim Carrey Paints Sarah Huckabee Sanders - It's Not a Pretty Picture."
ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO AND JAMIE MAZUR ARE DONE: Supermodel Alessandra Ambrosio and Jamie Mazur, her fiancé and boyfriend of 10 years, are going their separate ways, according to Us Weekly. "They have been trying to keep their split on the down low, but Alessandra has been out and about ready to mingle and hasn’t been taking Jamie to anything," an insider tells Us. The pair got engaged in 2008. Mazur has not appeared on her social media stream since Christmas, though the 36 year old has posted several snaps of herself with their two little ones, Anjam 9, and Noah, 5.
LASHANA LYNCH REPLACES DEWANDA WISE IN CAPTAIN MARVEL: She’s Gotta Have It star DeWanda Wise is exiting Captain Marvel due to scheduling conflicts with the Netflix hit. Her as-yet-unnamed role in the film has been replaced by Lashana Lynch, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The British Lynch is best known to U.S. audiences for a short-lived Shondaland period drama Still Star-Crossed.
GETTY FAMILY DEMANDS TO SEE FX’S TRUST: Attorney Martin Singer has filed court papers demanding that FX provide him with all 10 episodes of Trust, a forthcoming series about J. Paul Getty III’s 1973 kidnapping. In court papers, Singer claims the show defames Getty family members and hints at a possible lawsuit. He is representing Getty’s sister Ariadne. The court papers, filed to Trust exec producers Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy, claims that Getty's kidnapping resulted in nine arrests and two convictions, but that Trust "outlandishly makes it appear as if members of the Getty family were actually complicit in the kidnapping and that the crime had been faked in an attempt to dupe (grandfather and billionaire) J. Paul Getty out of millions of dollars for their benefit. This is outrageous."
Disney/Marvel’s Black Panther held onto the box office for the fifth week in a row, bringing in $27 million.
Black Panther crossed the $600 million threshold today on its 31st day of release, becoming the second-fastest to reach that milestone after Star Wars The Force Awakens (12 days) and ahead of Jurassic World (36 days) and Star Wars: The Last Jedi (37 days), Deadline reports.
- The $90 million reboot of Tomb Raider starring Alicia Vikander, meanwhile, brought in $23.5 million, 8% higher than the second 2003 Tomb Raider film, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life starring Angelina Jolie, which raked in $21.7 million.
- Abroad, the film brought in much more, earning the top slot worldwide with $108 million. All-told, 78% of Tomb Raider’s bank came from theaters overseas.
- Also of note this weekend was the Christian rock $7 million movie I Can Only Imagine, which surprised many by earning $17 million and earning an A CinemaScore.
The Kardashians helped rescue a 24-hour community center in L.A. that was about to shut its doors due to lack of funding, TMZ reports.
Kim, Kris, Kourtney and Kris's partner Corey Gamble reportedly donated more than $100,000 to build a new community center equipped with a basketball court, kitchen, TVs and more than 20 new laptops for the learning center.
- The Community Center in Watts is hailed as a safe haven in a gang-heavy neighborhood. Kris next hopes to fund a playground for the kids.
- Meanwhile, Kim also shared an unfiltered close-up of her third child with rapper Kanye West, Chicago West on Instagram Saturday.
- "Morning cutie," she captioned the shot of Chicago awake and content looking in a pink button-down onesie and white bib. Chicago joins big sister North, 4, and big brother Saint, 2.
This is not a drill! Two years after Ben Affleck claimed a gigantic back tattoo was a temporary embellishment for a film, he was spotted shirtless in Hawaii with the same ink.
The 45-year-old was photographed during a training session with Charlie Hunnam, Oscar Isaac and Garrett Hedlund as they prepare for the upcoming movie Triple Frontier.
- The tattoo, a rendering of a phoenix taking flight, occupies his entire back. The ink was first spotted in the summer of 2015 after he and Jennifer Garner announced their split.
- At the time, Affleck told Extra: "It’s fake for a movie. I actually do have a number of tattoos but I try to have them in places where you don’t have to do a lot of cover up they get sort of addictive, tattoos, after awhile."
- Although Affleck initially demurred about the tattoo, Garner implicitly confirmed its permanence in a 2016 interview in Vanity Fair. "You know what we would say in my hometown about that? ‘Bless his heart,’ " she told the publication. "A phoenix rising from the ashes. Am I the ashes in this scenario? I take umbrage. I refuse to be the ashes."
- His ex Jennifer Lopez was blunt, calling it "awful." "His tattoos always have too many colors, they shouldn’t be so colorful. They should be cooler," she told Andy Cohen during the "Plead the Fifth" segment on Watch What Happens Live.
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR GATHERS MARVEL’S GREATEST HEROES: The newest trailer for Avengers: Infinity Wars has dropped, and fans can gawk at the aliens, robots and greatest heroes taking each other on. Disney’s latest (very purple) foe Thanos is front and center. "The entire time I knew him he only ever had one goal: To wipe out half the universe," Zoe Saldana's Gamora is heard saying in the trailer. "If gets all the Infinity Stones, he can do it with the snap of his fingers. Just like that." Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man asks: "Tell me his name again." Gamora whispers: "Thanos." Avengers: Infinity Wars roars into theaters April 27th.
ELLEN KURAS JOINS CATCH-22 AS DIRECTOR: Ellen Kuras is set to direct two episodes of the six-part Hulu series Catch-22, from Paramount Television, Anonymous Content and George Clooney and Grant Heslov’s Smoke House Pictures. Clooney and Heslov are directing the remaining four. Kuras will also produce. Christopher Abbott will star as Yossarian, joining Clooney as Colonel Catchcart. The series is based on the classic novel of the same name by Joseph Heller.
NETFLIX SNAGS BOBBY KENNEDY DOCUSERIES: Netflix has snapped up a four-hour documentary series, Bobby Kennedy, for President. The show, scheduled to launch on April 27th, will revisit Robert F. Kennedy’s political legacy. The show will trace his 83-day presidential run, which ended with his assassination at Los Angeles’ Ambassador Hotel. Dawn Porter will direct. "There is so much to his career and life that isn’t talked about," Porter told Variety. "Also there’s really not a soup-to-nuts Bobby Kennedy piece. There is a lot on his death, but I didn’t want to just focus on his death because so often when we talk about Bobby Kennedy we focus on the assassination or we focus on his relationship with JFK. This series is about a story that you think you know, but you don’t really know."
DAVID TENNANT SIGNS ON FOR CAMPING: David Tennant has been recruited to star alongside Jennifer Garner in HBO’s new comedy Camping. Girls duo Lena Dunham and exec producer Jenni Konner are helming and co-writing the project, which is based on a British series of the same name. The story centers on Walt (Tennant) and his wife Kathryn (Garner). Production will commence this spring in L.A.
DWAYNE JOHNSON ANNOUNCES RELEASE DATE OF RED NOTICE: The Rock dropped the release date for his third film with Skyscraper and Central Intelligence writer/helmer Rawson Marshall Thurber. Red Notice will be released June 12, 2020, he shared on Instagram. In the action-thriller, Dwayne Johnson, playing an Interpol agent, takes on the most wanted art thief in the world.